Wanderful Women’s Travel Guides offer a comprehensive resource to start planning your travels. We aggregate helpful travel tips from Women Travel Creators who visit or live in the destination so you can learn from various perspectives. Get started planning your trip with help from the global Wanderful community!
Wanderful Women’s Travel Guide to Reykjavik, Iceland
Start here to plan a trip to Reykjavik, Iceland. This comprehensive guide offers resources from a variety of travel experts & influencers!
Reykjavik is located along the coast of Iceland. It is the country’s capital as well as its largest city. When visiting the area you’ll never run out of things to do.
Whether it be trying some of the different local foods or going glacier hiking, there are tons of cultural and recreational activities to partake in.
Not only is Reykjavik a city filled with tons of cultural and older influences, it is also a city known for its picturesque landscapes and breathtaking views. From icy glaciers, to grassy hillsides, to calming lakeviews, Reykjavik can offer you priceless views of nature and wildlife.
Join a Free Virtual Tour in Iceland!
What to See and Do in Reykjavik, Iceland
Reykjavik is the perfect place to visit if you want adventure coupled with picturesque landscapes. Everywhere you go, the area is both scenic and peaceful, so don’t forget your camera when you’re packing to visit the incredible city!
Get Inspired to Plan a Trip to Reykjavik:
Need some inspiration for your trip to Reykjavik? Carolyn has a list of 5 bucket list sights to see while visiting.
Still need some convincing to travel to Iceland? Kiersten has 10 reasons why you need to visit.
Natasha has a very comprehensive guide for first timers!
Better yet, Gemma thinks you should plan an Iceland honeymoon!
Jess and Stephen have a few suggestions for things you must do while in Iceland:
Get Ready for Your Trip to Reykjavik:
- Need some ideas on what to pack on your trip to the city? Kiersten has got you covered.
- Are you going in the summer and need some packing advice? Carolyn has everything you need right here
- Lizzie has great tips on visiting Iceland in winter.
- Want to plan a trip to Reykjavik on a budget? Yulia has 8 useful tips and what to see!
Things to Do in the City:
- If you’re in Iceland for the first time, Fatima has a list of things to do in the city of Reykjavik.
- Are you hoping to plan a trip to Reykjavik during a layover? Have a look at Lucy’s 24-hour itinerary!
- Lea has you covered with 10 free things you can do in Reykjavik!
- Liberty has the perfect ‘How to spend 3-days in Reykjavik’ blog
Traveling Outside of Reykjavik:
- If you want to do a road trip around Iceland, check out Kiersten’s travel blog to map out just what to do when and where.
- If you’re planning on taking on driving the golden circle, you should check out Kiersten’s and Monica’s blog posts.
- Need ideas for what to do in Iceland? Here’s a list of 15 awesome day trip ideas for you to check out.
- Iceland is known for its scenic getaways and picturesque landscapes. Kiersten has a small photo gallery to inspire you to explore the beautiful country.
- Get into the water! Sonja shares what it’s like snorkeling between tectonic plates in Iceland at Silfra.
- If you want more outdoor adventure, Gemma has a guide to Iceland hikes that will inspire you to chase waterfalls.
All About the Blue Lagoon:
- A popular reason people visit Iceland is the amazing Blue Lagoon, Leanne has lots of information on day trips from Reykjavik.
- Monica has an in-depth blog all about the Blue Lagoon!
- If you want to spend the day at the Blue Lagoon, Fatima has a guide for you detailing just what you can do there, when you can go, and more.
Finally, Jewells has a video about all the things you shouldn’t do on a trip to Iceland!
Listen: Music, Arts, & Events in Reykjavik
Seeing the Northern Lights in Iceland is one of the most famous natural shows the area has to offer. But there are plenty of other celebrations and events that make Reykjavik an irresistible destination!
When you plan a trip to Iceland, you might want to plan around these special events for a unique experience.
Wanderful Recommendations for Music & Events in Reykjavik:
If you find yourself in Iceland in the spring, snowboarding and glacier walking are activities that are very popular during that time of year.
Going to see the famous northern lights? Fatima has a guide just for you covering what it’s all about.
If you find yourself in Reykjavik for New Year’s you’re in luck. Kiersten details why it’s one of the best places to be during the turn of the year.
Nina has some great suggestions for music festivals to attend in the in the summer!
Are you a big Game of Thrones fan? Sonja can help you visit film locations in Iceland!
Listen to Jewells’ podcast called All Things Iceland to learn about Icelandic festivals and celebrations. She also shares plenty of tips
Taste of Reykjavik: What to Eat and Drink
Reykjavik is known for its diverse and unique nutritional options. When you visit Iceland, you’ll have many choices from Reyjkavik’s hot dogs to fermented options galore. Your taste buds will never be bored!
Wanderful Recommendations for Food & Drink in Reykjavik:
Kiersten from the Blonde Abroad has a guide with all the best food spots to grab a bite around town.
Enjoy some street food like a local!
If you want to save money as you plan a trip to Reykjavik, Natasha has you covered with places to eat in Reykjavik on a budget.
Interested in unusual and bizarre foods? Laura and Nick have a guide on what to order!
Lea has some interesting insights on the famous Reykjavik Food Walk, go check them out!
Nanna has a list of Reykjavik’s best cocktails!
Jess and Stephen from Flying the Nest have a video exploring all kinds of different foods you can eat while in Iceland:
Understand: History, Culture, and Going Beyond the Tourist Track in Reykjavik
Iceland’s history can be explored and understood in words, actions, and imagery. Be sure to check out some of these tours that are off the beaten path when looking to learn more about the culture and society surrounding Reykjavik.
Wanderful Recommendations for Learning About Reykjavik:
Connecting with locals who love their area is always a great way to learn more!
Check out Auður’s Instagram for inspiration and views of daily life in Iceland.
Connect: Meet Wanderful Women in Reykjavik
Wanderful doesn’t currently have a local chapter in Iceland, but you can always get more travel tips for planning a trip to Iceland from our membership community around the world!
Other Resources for Planning a Trip to Reykjavik
Have you visited Reykjavik, Iceland? Share your favorite things about the city in the comments below.
Looking for travel inspiration? Wanderful is a global community for travel-loving women. Connect with us!