After reading Meg’s Top 10 list last week, I have seated myself down to reflect on a whirlwind 2010 that took me on foyr major travels and numerous roadtrips. Here’s a list of the best things to happen in my life in the last 365 days. I have an awful memory, so I actually had to whip out my trusty red Moleskin 2010 calendar to help me…
1. Graduating- I guess it’s a no-brainer, but I was happy (and proud) to graduate in June, achieving all of my “personal academic goals” and dealing with scheduling hell for five years to complete my double major. Goodbye, DePaul University!
2. Moving to Colombia- I packed up my wonderful life in Chicago this summer and moved to Medellín, Colombia. There were bribes to get me to stay and many doubted my plans, but I did it. Besides a few minor toddler-style breakdowns, I look back on the experience and smile.
3. Obtaining a Blackberry- Never one for technology, I now have a love affair with my Blackberry. My best friends in Chicago and Michigan have one and “BBM-ing” with them while abroad kept me sane. I try to turn it off a few hours a day (always during yoga class) but man, I understand the addiction.
4. Book Clubs– I was the proud member of two book clubs while in Chicago this year- one with friends (organized by my beautiful friend Jodi) and the other with my Chicago yoga studio (Infuse Yoga Spa). Some of the books I hated (Watership Down) and some I loved (Botany of Desire). Regardless, I always looked forward to meeting with friends to look like nerds and talk about books while enjoying a beer or a glass of wine.
5. Costa Rica- It was my first time traveling with a group of people (four girls) since senior year of high school and I was a little nervous. We didn’t kill each other and laughed through the entire trip. Highlights included Hayley “accidentally” attacking a sea turtle while kayaking, the “Kari graduation face” and the wild crab attacking our hostel room at night.
6. Bomba Estéreo- They were introduced to me by a friend this year and they quickly became my favorite band (it doesn’t hurt that they are Colombian). I listen to their album, Blow Up, at least 10 times a week and can’t get sick of them as hard as I try. I saw them perform three times in 2010 and all were uniquely amazing- twice in Chicago (Millennium Park and Green Dolphin) and once in Bogotá.
7. Veggie Bingo at the Hideout– Each summer I patiently wait for Wednesday nights, so I can lose at Veggie Bingo, a combination of Bingo, beer, vegetarian hotdogs, and winnings of vegetables of other edibles. I have been a regular for the past two summers and almost every single one of my friends has won (most of them on their first time). Maybe 2011 will be my lucky year.
8. Craft Nights- Even though I oftentimes did more wine-consuming and giving of craft support (see above photo), I loved weekly gatherings to knit, stitch, draw, make dragons, and drink. It kept me sane through winter last year in Chicago.
9. World Cup- I still get a little misty-eyed when I hear “Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)” by Shakira. I loved waking up early to see big games and drinking mid-day in packed bars to cheer on my favorite teams. Patiently waiting for Brazil.
10. Whiskey– Another thing that kept me sane through Chicago winter (and spring.. and summer). I’m not a huge drinker, but when I do, it’s whiskey. Cheap or expensive, as long as it’s served with a Coke. Whiskey played a prominent role in 2010 and was greatly missed in Colombia.
Cheers to more whiskey, travel, good books, and adventures in 2011!